Sunday, September 15, 2013

I’m Ready For My Ring Now **Update**




     It hasn’t even been a full week, and I already have an update on my ring situation.
 

  
    I’ve been nagging “My Guy” off and on since July about my ring. Recently I upped my nagging to daily nagging. The daily nagging resulted in an “adult conversation” about my phantom ring. OH BOY did so much come to surface.

     “My Guy” asked me directly what kind of ring do I want, and how much does it cost. I proceeded to tell him about this “one” ring that I saw at “this store” in NJ. “That ring” cost “this much.”
    
     I told him about the ring that I saw “online” that costs “that much.” 

     I paused for a second mid sentence to go into the other room to get my cell phone. I needed to show him the new gallery of pictures that I updated within the past few weeks.

     After I presented “My Guy” with an option of 10-15 rings……AND texted him my “top 5” choices he was quiet in deep thought. I assumed he was processing it all. It was then that I realized that I may have given him too much information at once.

     Seven or eight seconds go by and he says, “you don’t really wear rings or lots of jewelry.” I said, “yeah I know, but I will wear this ring every single day.” He says, “I don’t doubt that, but this type of stuff isn’t really that important to you. You’re more interested in jump starting your new career. I’m going to give you a ring, we both know that, but you can’t even decide on the style, the stone, or the metal. This just isn’t you. You’re the type of person that when you’re sure about something you stick with it.”

     The conversation did not stop there. He went on to remind me why we postponed the wedding. We talked about how the wedding was consuming our lives. We are both in this socially awkward phase so the wedding was getting the best of both of us. This conversation allowed me to see that once again “peer pressure” was getting the better of me. By postponing the wedding, “My Guy” and I, were intending to be true to ourselves. Sometimes that may mean going against society.
 
 
 
     I realized my reasoning for wanting this ring RIGHT RIGHT RIGHT NOW was based on my ego and embarrassment. I had one too many encounters where a person made me feel like “your’re getting married, yeah right where’s your ring??” Now I was taking everything out on “My Guy” when in actuality it wasn’t a HUGE deal.

     “My Guy” and I came to terms with what made sense for us. We both were able to talk through our feelings about wedding rings. I’ve learned through life that when you talk out your feelings you can discover things that you may not have known were there.

     We realized that despite us both having a liking for flashy things we’re really practical when it comes to the wedding ring. We both felt some type of way after seeing the movie Blood Diamond. Having been traumatized enlightened we we’re more open to all types of options.

     In closing I recently saw a video on Youtube that really summed up my feelings. I thought to myself “Tell Em’ Sister” when the young woman described her story. We have similar feelings, especially about the movie Blood Diamond. I posted the video below. Enjoy!



Sincerely,

The Anti-Bride 2013
Twitter: @theantibride2013 

P.S.
F.Y.I. Here is the link to her YouTube Channel so you can follow her: http://www.youtube.com/user/EverythingLuxy

No comments:

Post a Comment