Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Can You Have An “Open” Elopement?



      “The Fiancé” and I have been discussing having our own private ceremony before our big ceremony next year. When I bought this up to a friend her response was, “oh you don’t have to tell anybody that you’re eloping.” My first thoughts were, “no we’re not eloping. We are just having our own little ceremony, ya know privately with just us.” When “The Fiancé” and I revisited the conversation of us having our own little shindig he even said, “yeah we can do our own thing and not really tell too many people.”

       Again my thoughts were “what’s up with this secret squirrel stuff!”


       I mean really…… I love him, he loves me, we are grownups, we pay our own bills AND our own state, federal, and local taxes if we want to have OUR own private ceremony and not invite anybody DAMNIT That’s Our Right As Americans!

 

 
Clearly I am more than a little naïve when it comes to the wedding business. This is a prime example of how naïve I am. I just don’t get why people feel that having your own private wedding, or eloping for lack of a better term, is something to be shunned.
    
Eloping by definition is to run off secretly to get married. With recent celebrities that are choosing to elope I wonder is eloping really that taboo? Especially for people over the age of hmmm let me see 17.

I realize that there is an exception to the rule. I am such a live loud and proud type of person. There are others who for religious reasons, cultural reasons, or both religious and cultural reasons eloping is THE DEVILS ACT. So I understand in those circumstances.

But for the rest of us…………MAN THERE’S JUST NO EXCUSE FOR ALL THIS JUDGEMENT!

I got to thinking. HMMMM


The only way you can have an “open” elopement, where everyone is in the know, is to not use the word elope. The word elope is used too freely. In my mind people who decide to get married that are of age, of sound mind, of means, and free of cultural and/or religious obligation aren’t eloping. They’re just privately getting married.  

To take out the sting I think we should call it an “intimate marriage.” Awww I love it!!! Regardless if you go to City Hall or you get married on the beach in the Bahamas it’s your day, it’s special, and it shouldn’t be tainted by 16th century words.
 
Closing words, if “The Fiance” and I decide to have our own “intimate marriage” I will announce it LOUD and PROUD on this blog!! A marriage ceremony isn’t anything to hide unless it’s your choice.

Sincerely,

The Anti-Bride 2013
Twitter: @theantibride2013

No comments:

Post a Comment