Tuesday, April 2, 2013

I Am The Anti-Bride 2013: A Pink Slip, Flowers, And A Glass Of Wine













 Original Post Date was Friday Feb. 22, 2013


      Today is literally the morning after. Rather the afternoon after I should say. Afternoon after what you may ask??? After I was let go… okay let’s not sugar coat it…. FIRED from my job, hence the pink slip.

      This blog is called the anti-bride which is what I am, but I am beginning to think that I am certainly the anti of a lot of things. My wedding date is a little under 9 months from today. So I was thinking what better day than TODAY to start documenting the crazy and anti-normalness that is my life. 


      I call myself the anti-bride because I’m just not with all this wedding stuff. I don’t hate it or not believe in it, it’s just not my thing. It’s kind of like the Winter Olympics. I think it’s sooo super cool, and I hope to one day meet Shani Davis and Apolo Ohno. BUT and this is a huge BUT I don’t think I will booking that flight to and hotel in Sochi, Russia next year.

      I’ve never been the type of person to fake the funk or go with the flow. This is something that I deem as a gift and a curse. A gift because I will always be true to myself. A curse because the consequences and cost of not being able to be phony are often great. HENCE AGAIN ME GETTING FIRED!

      About 3 years ago I fell in love. I wasn’t supposed to fall in love. I certainly wasn’t looking for love. I met a guy randomly, thought he was cute, and maybe we could go out to dinner or something. Literally it evolved into what we have today ladies and gentlemen. A few months into the relationship we both new that we wanted to one day get married. It just wasn’t the right time. 


     After working at, SAID PREVIOUS EMPLOYER, and getting asked a lot of nosy questions from the ladies in the office I asked myself why aren’t we getting married. The only reason I could come up with was my massive student loan debt, and the fact that I’m still on hiatus from NYU’s Graduate Program. So after giving it much thought I approached my guy one night while we were drinking beers and watching THE VOICE and said……. “you still want to, you know, do the thing.” He replied back, “yeah I’m just waiting on you, whenever you’re ready I’m ready.” So I said, “okay so when is your vacation time.” He had three upcoming vacation weeks so we decided on the vacation week in November and that's how it happened. No bended knee, no flower basket, no giant words on the GIANT SCREEN at Madison Square Garden. Just two people together watching The Voice and deciding to get hitched when he had time off.

      I’m still a girls girl, and I still get excited about things. So I went to work excited about the news and happy to share with my co-workers. Then the questions started:

  1. How did he ask you?
  2. Where is your ring?
  3. Where are you going to get married?
  4. How many people are going to be in your wedding?
  5. What did you sister say?
  6. What did your mom say?
  7. What!!! He still hasn't met your dad?
  8. Are you guys going to stay in your apartment?
      I couldn’t believe the questions, and I wasn’t ready for them. It was all too much, and I couldn’t believe these women had the nerve to ask me such personal questions. Whatever happened to “Oh congratulations I am so happy for you.” 

     If you’re thinking I got fired for assaulting one of my co-workers, though I may have wanted to I never acted on it. However, I did realize at that moment in time something that I have realized in similar situations through life. I realized that I am different. Though on the outside I may look like everyone else I’m not like everyone else.

      Valentines Day was last Thursday, and last Saturday I purchased some flowers because flowers always make me happy. AND BECAUSE THEY WERE ON SALE!!  My Scorpio sense of intuitiveness told me that something was going to happen soon and I needed the flowers to cheer me up. I always keep a stash of something to clear my mind, AKA beer, wine, liquor, and spirits. So after a few months of things not going so well at work, and having several talks with my boss about my future with the company they decided it was best that I be let go. I am not angry or upset about the decision I saw it coming for several months, and I am actually relieved that it is over. However, the sense of failure still lingers on in me. The thought of starting a marriage without having my feet secure in a career does scare me.

      I am sure that as I navigate through the trials and tribulations of becoming a MRS. it will make for great commentary. This is going to be an interesting and wild journey and I’m actually really excited to share it.

Sincerely,

THE ANTI-BRIDE 2013!

No comments:

Post a Comment