Thursday, May 2, 2013

The Things I Never Thought I Would Do Until......

     We have all heard that "love is blind." "Love will make you do some crazy things." And it's all true. I find myself doing more and more compromising on things that I never thought were negotiable.

     My Love and I have been living together for a few years now. I had the opportunity to live on my own for 3 years while in college. I developed my own little habits and ways of doing things. There was a period in my life when I bounced around from place to place. When I was moving around I had to throw those "high maintenance" tendencies out of the window. I adapted to my surroundings. 

     Living with someone versus staying with someone are two different things. When you stay with a person you must follow their rules. When you live with someone you must compromise. As a "girl's girl" there are somethings I never thought would be a compromise. Ohhhhh but once again I have been mistaken. Here are the things that I never thought I would do until......... I fell in love and decided we were going to get married.

     1.) ONE PLY TOILET PAPER!!! sighhhh
  
      I never considered myself to be a super "brand" girl. But I love Charmin Toilet Paper!! That bear and his bear family are like an extension of my own family.
     I fought a hard fight to keep Charmin Toilet Paper alive and well in this house. Unfortunately you can't win them all. So now we use

     I will say that it is cost effective. BUT whenever my family comes to visit. Particulary my parents I purchase Charmin. Yes I am afraid of being judged.

     2.) Toothpaste Vs. Gel
      

     Keeping with the fashion of the Bathroom. I never thought I would compromise with toothpaste but I have. DOUBLE SIGH. I am a paste girl, and prefer paste verses gel.




     For me the brand isn't as important as the texture. My mouth feels so much cleaner while using paste. The compromise of toothpaste versus gel is ongoing. My Guy doesn't really seem to care as much as I do, but I know his preference is gel.

     A year and half ago I purchased paste and gel. I let him know the gel was for him and the paste was for me.
The Toothpaste Treaty of 2011 lasted for about 3 weeks. There was a break in the Treaty when My Guy "forgot" that the gel was his, and there was some "accident" involving the paste. The toothpaste ended up in the trash without the top on, and I would get cooties if I used it. Yeah I don't know. I still buy toothpaste for myself from time to time. But we are primarily a gel household.

     3.) Laundry Drop Off


     I never liked the idea of someone else doing my laundry. But I hate doing laundry. My Guy, being a bachelor for several years before meeting me, swears by drop off service. The first few times that I dropped of my laundry I felt like I wasn't a complete woman. I'm so serious. Laundry, though tedious, is something that you can do for yourself. It's a part of house work. If you can't wash your own undergarments what does that say about you?

     After I got past the part of "can't wash clothes" opposed to "not feeling like washing clothes and hating the process," I was open to it. Now I drop those clothes off first thing in the morning and pick them up after 6pm. It's a beautiful thing!

      4.) BJ's Wholesale Membership


     At first I was thinking what the hell am I going to do with all of that food. It's only really two of us. We don't need that much pasta and mayo.

     As crazy as it sounds, purchasing food in bulk is really helping us stay on track with our diet. Instead of chips we have more oranges, bananas, apples, grapes, and whatever else our little hearts desire. I make mini fruit salads at night, and pack them up. They're quick for the grab and go process.

     5.) My Cat
    
     I never was a cat person. I was always afraid of cats, and more of a dog person because their personalities are more manageable. There is a lot of construction taking place near our building. Any New Yorker knows when they start digging the rodents come from underground. We thought it may be best to get a cat.

     Neither of us are "cat" people. My Guy sent me to the animal shelter to "go pick out a cat." We were both a little naive about the animal adoption process. It's not like going to BJ's and picking up 2 pounds of kale. Of course I picked out the tiniest kitten I saw. She was so little and so shy I thought the cage was empty. Her name is Ziggy


     Not to me confused with the Ziggy from the Iams Commercial. That cat freaks me out.

     I never thought I would have a cat let alone like my cat. But I do. I don't consider myself to be a cat person because all cats are not created equal. But I understand cats and their mannerisms much better. Ziggy is pretty much a character in herself. She's older now, and she's clumsy, scary, and too predictable. We keep a collar with a bell or her just because we're afraid she may fall out the window or something. We need to know where she is at all times.




      Toilet paper, toothpaste, laundry drop off service, BJ's Wholesale membership, and adopting a cat those are the top 5 things I never thought I would compromise with.


     In closing, Meatloaf was definitely on to something when he sang "I will do anything for love, but I won't do that." I compromised with some things. Other things like putting ketchup in the fridge, I definitely won't do.

Sincerely,

The Anti-Bride 2013



    

No comments:

Post a Comment