Saturday, May 31, 2014

161 Days Left To Go...

     I've been longing to do wedding update post for a really really long time. What's stopped me from doing one is the thought of having a panic attack after coming to terms with what all that is left to do before the wedding. 

     According to my "theknot.com" wedding website I have exactly 161 days left to go. So what is there left to do before those 161 days????? Well, we'll get to that but first let me highlight what has been done!

What I've we've accomplished so far:


The Date - - 
Saturday, November 8, 2014

I know that it seems corny, but there are couples who play around with their date. Having been one of those couples... I should know. Remember our date was set for November 2, 2013. And we postponed it to November 8, 2014. So having a date is somewhat of a milestone!



The Venue - -
(Undisclosed) Manor on a Golf Course in Queens, NY

We have a venue, and it's not our apartment!!! Not that there's anything wrong with getting married in your apartment. But, being honest, I'm not the BEST hostess.



My Dress 

I have my dress, and it's in my closet ready to go! That's one less stress I tell ya! 
P.S. That's not it! 



Save the Dates

For the most part, all of the Save the Dates have gone out. YAY!



Theme and Colors

Our theme is Prince Diamonds and Pearls, and our colors are white/ off white, diamonds, pearls, and crystals!




What is left to do in 161 days:

DJ




It wouldn't be right, and I wouldn't be me if I didn't have a long - - dramatic - - overly analyzed story as to why I do or do not want to do something... So here goes...

My big brother is a DJ. He does it professionally, and he has DJ-ed every major event in my life. I'm talking all of my middle school dances! 

I knew that my brother was going to DJ my wedding before I even met my Fiance'. My brother DJ-ing my wedding was always a constant. 

When we signed the contract for the venue we were told that all vendors: photographer, dj, etc, must have a 2 million dollar liability insurance policy. Naturally I was taken aback. I knew that getting an insurance policy wasn't something that was impossible. For some reason, the mention of the policy allowed for some questions and doubts about my brother DJing seep into my mind.

The funny thing is the insurance is to protect the venue not "The Fiance" and me. But hearing the word insurance made me think about all of the reasons why you have protect yourself.

My brother is based out of Atlanta, and we're getting married in NYC. While my brother is a professional, he's also HUMAN. 

It wasn't a question of whether or not my brother could DJ, or if I wanted him to DJ. It was a matter of would it be fair. My brother has a family, a LARGE ONE at that, and they're going to be traveling by car/van/SUV/ think "National Lampoon" style. My brother would have to travel with his equipment including speakers and other dj stuff. Oh yeah.... remember our wedding is in November. So weather may be a factor!!


I'm sure by now you get it. There's a chance that something or someone can/will get forgotten in the process (i.e. Home Alone).

To bring home the point to a super long psychoanalytical story....

My wedding is November 8, 2014, and on that day something is going to go wrong, I am sure of it. But I would rather it be someone else that flubs than it be my brother. Yes, that is a hefty price that I am going to have to pay, but I feel like it is worth it. I would much rather pay for someone else to do the job, and have my brother just worry about being "The Brother of the Bride" and enjoy himself with his family. 

With that being said, I'm not ready to find a new DJ yet. I'm starting to open up more to the idea of another DJ taking on the responsibility. It's tough because I'm always going to make that comparison. It's just one of those things that is going to take time for me to get to that place. 

Oh the joys of discovering these silly deep rooted issues during the wedding planning process.

My Bouquet




Maybe you remember, or not, from previous post but I want a brooch bouquet. Originally I was going to make my own brooch bouquet..... 

Yeah....... Good Luck to me with that........

I'm not a DIY person. I want to be more crafty, but I'm too uptight! I want things to be sooo perfect, and I get angry with myself when I can't do the simplest tasks. 

So I'm not going to go to war with myself over my inability to create a brooch bouquet. I'd rather buy the damn thing and keep it moving. That's what I plan on doing. I just haven't done it yet. I hope to order it before the end of the summer!

Photographer


I did an entire post on this subject back in October. I still stand by everything that I said regarding hiring a photographer. You can read up on that post here: Photographer Stance.

Here's an update on where we are with the photographer. We want to hire a photographer, just not an extensive and expensive package. Our plan is to create a wedding photobook on Shutterfly. 

I somewhat started the research process for a photographer. More than likely I will ask the venue for some recommendations, and pick one of their in house vendors. It's not a HUGE deal to me. 

Invitations



I'm so indecisive when it comes to invitations. I'm still not 100% sold on the style of invitations that I want. I think I may just remix it and do my own style. I really like pocket invitations, but they tend to be expensive. Hand made invitations are beautiful, and also tend to be expensive. 

Our Save the Date Magnets were such a big hit that I don't think we really need to go over the top with invitations. We can keep it classy, elegant, and simple.

Keeping it all the way 100.....the magnets are going to stay on people's fridge FOREVER. But the invitation is going to end up in the trash at some point. For this reason I'm starting to lean more towards trying to find something elegant, but inexpensive. 

It's just so hard because my attention span for this type of stuff is like 30 minutes at most. So after 30 minutes I lose interest and start searching for houses on Trulia or something. I dunno, like "I CAN'T" "I CAN'T!"

Table Arrangements



For flowers I know that I want white and off white roses and hydrangeas. 

(Side Bar: I need to step up my flower game because I have repeatedly called hydrangeas, geraniums. Totally different flowers. It's like confusing a fully bloomed rose for a carnation.)

My centerpiece or flower power issue is that I don't want to deal with the headache and hassle of having fresh flowers imported in November from Peru or someplace like that. 

As far as table arrangements/centerpieces, I want all of my tables to have a uniformed look but they do not have to be identical. I want the arrangement to be: flowers in vases, mirrors, some sort of bling, and candles. How that is arranged on the table is completely optional. I want everything to be roughly the same size. But I'm not picky about the style. As long as it all looks uniformed.

Wedding Favors




How I feel about wedding favors is how I feel about the invitations... well sorta. I don't want to get people stuff that they're not going to use. I love the idea of wine, wine glasses, small bottles of various liquors, and shot glasses. The reason why I don't want to go that route is because I want the weekend to be party and excitement. 

Alcohol is literally the maid of honor, and best man for our wedding. As stated before most of the time I'm a pretty uptight person until I'm not. The last thing that I would want to do is give off the wrong impression. I know huge contradiction... What else is knew. But seriously, we will be drinking a lot at our classy, elegant, Prince inspired wedding. But I don't want to end our wedding with "hey go drink some more!!" 

I want people to walk away with something that they can use in their everyday life that isn't party and alcohol related.

In closing, the completed versions of what's left to do really isn't as bad as I thought it would be. 98% of the stuff on my list I have an idea of what I want it just boils down to finding the "right" vendor, or option for us. It's a process, and a very meticulous one for me because I only want to do this once. 

Sincerely,

The Anti-Bride
Email: theantibride2013@gmail.com
Twitter: @antibride2013




No comments:

Post a Comment