Sunday, May 18, 2014

Grow Up Anti-Bride and Get a JOB (Long Post)

     Two more final exams left, and then my semester is DONE!!! I'm pretty darn excited. Now that my semester is coming to an end, and the summer is just over the horizon I started looking into the best part time/temporary/summer employment opportunities. 

     I started looking into this back in April. My new strategy on employment is to be... strategic! 


     By that I mean, I'm looking to gain employment in something that is going to be useful in my career transition. 

     Going into a field of communicative disorders I want to work particularly with individuals with speech and language delays due to head injuries. Of course the likelihood of busting out the gate and finding a job in a traumatic brain injury rehabilitation center or something like that is...... Yep! Very Unlikely!

     So I started looking into entry level positions where I can get basic - general experience working with:

a.) Children 

OR

b.) Adults with disabilities

OR

c.) Children with disabilities

     There is a reason why I put so much heavy emphasis on trying to find a job working with children. As stated before, my goal is to work more in the clinical and research side of speech pathology. However, busting out the gate fresh out of graduate school I may not get hired working in the exact area that I would like. Working with children is one of the areas in speech that hires new speech pathologists. 

     Since I don't have a vast amount of experience working with children. I thought it would be great to get that experience independently. It is a requirement through my undergraduate and future graduate studies to work with children. It's included in our coursework, but getting a head start on something never hurt anyone!!!

     On the flip side, there are opportunities for me to gain general experience working with adults with disabilities as well. While I want to work with those who have head injuries, to gain that immediate experience, research, and knowledge I'm told it's best to work with stroke patients. Strokes are a cause for disabilities and problems for some adults.

     As luck would have it... (I never use that saying lol lol) I started to get call backs for interviews. I actually was able to get multiple interviews in ALL of the areas that I am looking to find work in:

a.) Children 

OR

b.) Adults with disabilities

OR

c.) Children with disabilities


     I'm still going through the interview process(es) now. I'm super excited, and I kept everything a secret for about 2 weeks. Well kinda a secret... I told the twin sister a week ago, but she's cool. She's been helping me 'process' it all and stay grounded. 

     So you're probably saying okay AntiBride --  "Where's the problem? You seem to have it together. What's the beef?"



     Well I started opening my BIG MOUTH and asking other's for their opinions knowing good and well that I know what I'm doing!


     I had a mild dilemma which wasn't a HUGE deal. If only I just took a few deep breathes, and stopped to think about it for a second .... or 2 days...
"hey who's counting!!??!!"
     All in all I could have worked out this little hiccup amongst myself and all of the different personalities that live in my head. But NOOOO I had to start yapping. 

So here's the dilemma:

Background on the dilemma:
     I got my first job offer. But I have some time to make a decision, because the job doesn't start right away. There's a whole security process that can take up to 5 weeks or longer. This job like all of the jobs I've applied to, and am interviewing for are entry-level. So basically they're all going to be paying roughly about the same.


     This job, and 2 of the other jobs that I'm vying for is working with the disabled population. I have the opportunity to work with adults or children. 2 of the jobs are part time, and one job is full time. All 3 jobs are hands on and come with a lot of responsibility. But so is life!

     I was excited, because this is what I wanted. But I became a little nervous. My concern is that "I do not want to bite off more than what I can chew."

     I'm taking classes this summer, and will continue to take classes throughout the year. Not to mention this little party that I'm planning to attend early November! 

     Yesterday I got a call to set up an interview to be a camp counselor at one of the YMCA's near my house. I was super excited about this interview, and a little relieved. The job posting said "be prepared to go to the pool." I was sold! 

The actual dilemma:
     The other companies (companies other than the YMCA) that I have a possibility to work for, hire speech pathologists. So it would be a good idea to get in with the companies now! If I'm thinking about job security, and gaining experience it makes sense to get in with a company that could hire me or maybe even pay for my schooling.

        My dilemma is that my strategy was to gain entry-level experience working with the above stated populations. It was never to look into gaining a career. The other jobs (meaning the jobs other than the YMCA) could put me on a "career" track in an area within the field that I don't have a desire to work in.

       Also school isn't a cake walk. It's very challenging and requires a lot of time outside of class to study and practice. Committing to a full time job, or a part time job with A LOT OF RESPONSIBILITY may eventually effect my studies.

SOOOO.....

I was having a very hard time working this out with myself, and decided to call upon others for advice. Big Mistake!

     When I told them about the job offers I had and the position "titles" they were very proud of me! But when I told them that I was thinking about really pursing the YMCA they were like 


     Why??? Why??? Do I always seek other's validation when it comes to my career. I know that 'I got dis!' But I always go to others and they always respond like I've lost my mind. And I lose all credibility QUICK!

     What really got to me, and really made me feel 'A Way' was the hinting that I may be suffering from the dreadful Peter Pan Syndrome.


     One of my adviser's questioned when am I going to be ready to step out and take a "real job." She felt that I have the opportunity right in front of my face to take a "real job" and I would rather play Marco Polo with the YMCA kids.


     If we want to keep it ALL THE WAY REAL none of these jobs are going to be paying me the King's Ransom anyways. 



     From the beginning it's been about getting experience. If I can get experience, get a tan, lose some weight (chasing after children) in a temporary setting why wouldn't that be a viable option? I think the fact that people gave me the "are you serious" tone regarding the YMCA is what pissed me off. If all of these jobs are paying roughly the same why wouldn't they all have the same level of equivalence.

     The YMCA job would give me a general sense of being around children. Maybe I can request to work with a child who has a disability. But the YMCA is just general. The other positions would actually require certification and training so that I can work with a specific disabled population. 

     Naturally the option to have a company pay for certification is a great option. It's just important to think about whether or not the non YMCA positions would be assets or liabilities. How much time and attention will this take away from school? Attending certification courses, then going to work, then going to school??? 

     These are the questions that I wanted to work through with family and friends.



     My questions were met with more questions. Of course this isn't the first time my friends/family/both have questioned my decisions. This isn't the first time that they have wondered if I "had it all together." I think what hurts is that at this point I feel like I've come SOOOO far. I feel like I'm making SOOO much progress.

     It hurts that the people closest to me. The people who have heard me whine, cry, complain etc etc about doing more and being better aren't giving me the credit I feel that I deserve. I feel like they're not giving me the support that I would like to have. It's always this 'constructive criticism' that they wouldn't want to hear if they were in my shoes. 

     I'm hurt because it took a lot for me to take a step back and say - - "I'm flattered to have the opportunity to be offered these positions." "I know that they would look awesome on my resume, HOWEVER I don't know if I'm ready for this just yet." As a cashed strapped Bride (FYI ALL BRIDES ARE CASH STRAPPED EVEN Kim Kardashian because there's always more and More and MORE!!) 
for me to say I think I'll take a job at the YMCA because it will allow me to focus more on school. To say that takes a lot.
     
     Yes I know this is borderline:

     Aww hell I think it is full blown Pity Party!!! But hey, I'll wear that on my back proudly. Because I'm a little sick of it. By "it" I mean the "she doesn't have it together let's help her" idea that the people in my life seem to have of me. 

     It's this damned if you do damned if you don't situation that I've allowed myself to get in with people around me. If I'm reserved then they feel like I'm unaware. If I'm vocal they're looking to poke all kinds of holes in my plans. It's never "we trust her." This is all leading to me not giving a (____________) in 5.4.3.2......

     So what have I learned from all of this??? Well to keep MUM!
     In closing, while this wasn't a huge situation. It was more of a misunderstanding, if even that. I'm realizing that what I put out, is what I'm going to get back. I need to work things out more with myself, and trust in myself with these decisions. Contrary to popular belief I have a 5 year plan. It's just important to be strategic!

Sincerely,

The Anti-Bride
Email: theantibride2013@gmail.com
Twitter: @theantibride2013

     





No comments:

Post a Comment